SR 3011-A03 Bridge Replacement and Intersection Reconstruction
The SR 3011-A03 bridge replacement was located southeast of State College, Centre County, at the border of State College Borough and College Township. The previous two-span adjacent box beam bridge carried East Branch Road over Slab Cabin Run and was recommended for replacement. In addition, the public involvement portion of the design suggested that the adjacent intersection of Country Club Drive should be reconstructed to improve traffic flow and safety performance.
The structure was replaced with a three-cell reinforced concrete box culvert. The southwestern cell included a relocated golf cart pathway for the adjacent Centre Hills Country Club. Gibson-Thomas worked with District 2-0 to incorporate these additional features as well as utility relocations into the designs without impacting the design schedule.
Key features of this project included:
- Reconstruction and relocation of the skewed Country Club Road intersection to a T-intersection with a separate left turn lane on SR 3011
- Incorporation of Accelerated Bridge Construction techniques into the design to enable the majority of the construction to be completed within 30 days
- Incorporation of three detours into the traffic control scheme, including 30-day detours for SR 3011 and Centre Hills Country Club golf cart access way, and a 10-day detour for Country Club Drive
- Extensive public involvement/outreach to achieve buy-in from local municipalities and affected property owners
- Significant utility coordination, including the incorporation of water line relocation for the country club and a sewer line relocation
Construction of the $1.9 million project was completed by Glen O. Hawbacker, Inc. on schedule and the roadway was opened to traffic August 2017.