Patton Chest Creek Bridge
PennDOT District 9-0 retained Gibson-Thomas for the design of the replacement of the structure carrying SR 0036 (Magee Avenue) over Chest Creek in Patton Borough, Cambria County. The existing reinforced concrete closed spandrel deck arch bridge, originally constructed in 1910, was listed as structurally deficient and had exhibited signs of deterioration.
The project started as a small bridge replacement, but eventually included upgrades to a nearby signalized intersection, drainage improvements, and replacement of curb and sidewalk.
Designing this bridge replacement offered many challenges including:
- Maintaining traffic through Patton using a temporary bridge and roadway;
- Coordinating with RJ Corman for the replacement of the railroad crossing at the structure and a temporary crossing;
- Safely demolishing a concrete arch structure with minimal environmental impacts;
- Coordinating with PADEP regarding the flood control levee along Chest Creek;
- Accounting for numerous utility relocations and mitigations;
- Designing replacement rock vanes for fish habitats to replace a small structure under the existing bridge.
These challenges were overcome and the Patton Chest Creek Bridge project was completed in Spring 2017.
Interstate 80, Section 364 Butler and Clarion Counties, PA
Southern Beltway, SR 0576, Section 55B Between MP S-11.17 and MP S-14.31 Cecil Township, PA
Torchlight Intersection Menallen Township, PA
Hempfield Park – Ball Field, Parking Renovations and Dog Park Hempfield, PA
View All Projects